The first records of Monte del Frà are to be found in the Capitolare, the historic library in Verona, and date back to 1492 when the winery was owned by monks of the Santa Maria della Scala order in Verona. Notarial deeds show that the winery was then rented out to various different families.
A deed from 1619 shows that one of these families came from the village of Sommacampagna. At this time, the winery was made up of 25 fields that were planted with vines, brambles and other trees. The yearly rent which was due on Saint Micheal's day (29th September) consisted of 2 barrels of black grapes and 6 minali of vegetables to be delivered to the monastery in Verona. In 1721 the rental contract was given to the cousins of this family: Bernardo and Giovanni. Following this change in management, fierce fighting started between the monks and the previous family.
The family owned some land at Monte del Frà and also had many debts with the monks and with the parish priest of Sommacampagna. In an effort to pacify the parish priest, they sold four of the fields that bordered with the Monte del Frà buildings. The monks however believed that these were their fields and turned to the courts to resolve the dispute. The courts examined the deeds and in 1729 ruled in favour of the monks spelling the distancing of the family from Monte del Frà.
In 1805 and 1806, decrees written by Bonaparte Napoleon ordered many of the church's properties to be expropriated and put up for auction, this was also the case for Monte del Frà. The winery was then the scene of a cruel battle during the battles of the Risorgimento and, an extension of the site in the locality of Staffalo, was where the defeat of Italy to Austria was ratified.
Today Monte del Frà belongs to the Bonomo family together with other areas located in the heart of Custoza. The family currently owns 140 hectares of land and rents others.