Corvina veronese, Corvinone, Rondinella.
Location and characteristics of the vineyard:
Produced from grapes harvested in the classic area of Valpolicella where strong temperature changes and volcanic soil give the grapes a profound character.
Average altitude and composition:
The noble area of the hills are located at 350/400 meters above sea level, tufaceous, clayey, limestone soil.
Grapes are harvested the second half of October after a short drying on the vine. The drying then continues in the fruit cellar in crates at controlled humidity and temperature. The resting of the grapes lasts for about 120 days, depending on the season, until the sugar concentration of the grapes has reached at least 28 – 30%
Soft crushing and destemming of the grapes from January to the end of March depending on the vintage. A slow alcoholic fermentation follows in small steel barrels at controlled temperature. Long maceration of the skins to allow maximum aromatic and polyphenolic extraction. Afterwards, the wine passes into french oak where it completes the malolactic fermentation. After the summer racking, 90% of the Scarnocchio amarone ages for at least 36 months in 30 hl french oak while the remaining 10% ages in french oak. After being bottled, aging follows for at least 12 months before marketing.
Deep garnet with hints of ruby red.
Blue floral notes and light herbaceousnes followed by a touch of spices, reminisces of dried peach , apricot and other stone fruit leave room for exciting black cherry, dark plum, balckberry and hints of refreshing and endulging mint.
The flavors remain true to the nose, a real explosion of black and red fruit, the secondary and tertiary aromas are much more expressed into black tea leaves, licorice, vanilla, chocolate and hint of coffee and tobacco.
Retaining good acidity and balance till the long deserved finish. Drink it now or maximize its potential storing for at least 30 years…this wine will keep your interest alive delivering constant emotions time after time.
Excellent with jam, and aged cheeses. Also wonderful on it’s own by the glass as meditation wine.
Approximately 18 °C (64°F) with decanting recommended.